Health Association Nova Scotia is a not-for-profit, non-government, member-based organization that has been providing expertise, services and support for almost sixty years. We are dedicated to provide exceptional human resource shared services, innovative clinical engineering solutions, policy support, and expertise our customers can count on. Our four core, cost-recovery services are Group Benefits Solutions, Labour Relations and Compensation Analysis, Financial Services, and Clinical Engineering Services. The annual scholarship program was established to demonstrate our commitment to achieving service excellence in these core functions. Additionally, in support of our members’ recruitment goals, the scholarship eligibility criteria have been expanded to include a student enrolled in Health Programs, such as Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy or Pharmacy.
As announced last year, two of the membership scholarships have been named in memory of two dedicated health system leaders, Garnet Burns and Arlene Morrison, who both passed away in 2016. We are honoured to name these awards as a tribute to their memory and the extraordinary contributions they made to our health system.
Funding for the scholarship program is made possible by the preferred partnership arrangement the Health Association Group Benefits Solutions Service has with Johnson Insurance. We are delighted that this partnership is allowing us to offer financial support towards the education of our members’ employees and their children as well as to recognize and reward academic achievement and encourage students to pursue/maintain post-secondary studies.
Each year Health Association Nova Scotia may have monies to contribute to the Scholarship fund. For 2018 the values are as follows:
- $2500 non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a student who is enrolled in a Business Program
- $2500 non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a student who is enrolled in a LLB Law Program
- $2500 non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a student who is enrolled in an Engineering & Applied Science Technology / Degree Program
- $2500 non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a student who is enrolled in a Health Program such as Occupational Therapy / Physiotherapy / Pharmacy
If eligibility requirements are not met for one or more of these programs the monies will be awarded to a second qualified applicant in one of the other stated programs.
To apply, applicants must:
- Be a Canadian resident;
- Have a parent/step-parent/guardian who is a current permanent employee of a Health Association Nova Scotia member facility (employer) OR Be an employee who is a current permanent employee of a Health Association Nova Scotia member facility (employer);
- Be pursuing full- time, post-secondary education in the fall of 2018;
- Whichever is applicable: have maintained a minimum 80% average in Grade 12; have achieved a GPA of 3 or greater (or equivalent) in the most recent academic year;
- Be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program of at least one year in length; and
- Meet the requirement of being a well-rounded individual who consistently demonstrates core competencies of high accountability, solid judgement, integrity, strong work ethic, positive attitude and respect for others.This includes being involved in extra-curricular activities. Extracurricular activities may include but are not restricted to community involvement, and/or demonstrated leadership and/or outstanding athletic/artistic performance.
Please note the application process is now closed for 2018/2019.
We will notify only the successful applicants of the competition results by September 28, 2018. Scholarship funds for successful applicants will be mailed to you following notification.