Health Association Nova Scotia is a not-for-profit, non-government, member-based organization that has been providing expertise, services and support for almost sixty years. We are dedicated to provide exceptional human resource shared services, innovative clinical engineering solutions, policy support, and expertise our customers can count on. Our four core, cost-recovery services are Group Benefits Solutions, Labour Relations and Compensation Analysis, Financial Services, and Clinical Engineering Services. The annual scholarship program was established to demonstrate our commitment to achieving service excellence in these core functions. Additionally, in support of our members’ recruitment goals, the scholarship eligibility criteria have been expanded to include a student enrolled in Health Programs, such as Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy or Pharmacy.
Funding for the scholarship program is made possible by the preferred partnership arrangement the Health Association Group Benefits Solutions Service has with Johnson Insurance. We are delighted that this partnership is allowing us to offer financial support towards the education of our members’ employees and their children as well as to recognize and reward academic achievement and encourage students to pursue/maintain post-secondary studies.
As announced last year, two of the membership scholarships have been named in memory of two dedicated health system leaders, Garnet Burns and Arlene Morrison, who both passed away in 2016. We are honoured to name these awards as a tribute to their memory and the extraordinary contributions they made to our health system.
Each year Health Association Nova Scotia may have monies to contribute to the Scholarship fund. For 2019 the values are as follows:
- $2500 non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a student who is enrolled in a Business Program
- $2500 non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a student who is enrolled in a LLB Law Program
- $2500 non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a student who is enrolled in an Engineering & Applied Science Technology / Degree Program
- $2500 non-renewable scholarship will be awarded to a student who is enrolled in a Health Program such as Occupational Therapy / Physiotherapy / Pharmacy / Nursing
If eligibility requirements are not met for one or more of these programs the monies will be awarded to a second qualified applicant in one of the other stated programs.
To apply, applicants must:
- Be a Canadian resident;
- Have a parent/step-parent/guardian who is a current permanent employee of a Health Association Nova Scotia member facility (employer) OR Be an employee who is a current permanent employee of a Health Association Nova Scotia member facility (employer);
- Be pursuing full- time, post-secondary education in the fall of 2019;
- Whichever is applicable: have maintained a minimum 80% average in Grade 12; have achieved a GPA of 3 or greater (or equivalent) in the most recent academic year;
- Be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program of at least one year in length; and
- Meet the requirement of being a well-rounded individual who consistently demonstrates core competencies of high accountability, solid judgement, integrity, strong work ethic, positive attitude and respect for others. This includes being involved in extra-curricular activities. Extracurricular activities may include but are not restricted to community involvement, and/or demonstrated leadership and/or outstanding athletic/artistic performance.
Completed application forms are to be submitted by 4:00 pm AST August 23, 2019. NOTE: Responses in application must be typed.
Along with the completed application form, you must submit:
- Two typed letters of reference from non-family members
- Proof of enrollment into a full-time, post-secondary program of at least one year in length
- An official transcript of your current or most recent year marks
You may submit all of the documents via email: email@example.com
Or you may send all documents to Health Association Nova Scotia:
Health Association Nova Scotia
Attention: Daphney McGuire
2 Dartmouth Road
Bedford NS, B4A 2K7
Please ensure all submissions are legible.
Please note all applications and required documentation MUST be submitted on or before 4:00 pm AST August 23, 2019 to be considered for eligibility. Incomplete, Late or Illegible applications will not be considered.
Selection committee will consist of 4 individuals.
- Director, Group Benefits Solutions, Health Association Nova Scotia
- Director, Member and Partner Engagement, Health Association Nova Scotia
- CFO/ Director of Corporate Services, Health Association Nova Scotia
- Senior Human Resources Specialist, Health Association Nova Scotia
If one of the above is not available an alternate will take their place.
Selection will be based on all documentation received and please note that the decision of the selection committee is final and not subject to appeal.
We will notify only the successful applicants of the competition results by September 27, 2019. Scholarship funds for successful applicants will be mailed to you following notification.