Group Benefits Solutions
Group Benefits Solutions provides and supports long term disability, group life, health benefit, dental benefit, optional accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) and critical illness insurance to over 22,000 employees of Health Association Nova Scotia member organizations and approximately 2,800 retirees. Our knowledgeable staff provide full disability program management and plan text and/or benefit contract interpretation. The service provides centralized benefit administration from a provincial database maintained by the service. Plans are cost-shared between employers and active employees.
In early 2000, Group Benefits Solutions launched a province-wide early intervention program for employees enrolled in the NSAHO Long Term Disability Plan. The program is an undertaking of the Long Term Disability Trustees who are comprised of employer and employee representatives and are responsible for the governance of the Long Term Disability Plan. The program is called EASE (Early Assistance and Support for Employees).
Group Benefits Solutions also administers an Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) for healthcare workers employed in the acute care sector.
For more information on our Benefits program please view our Benefits at a Glance brochure.
NOTE: The information posted on this web site is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute a contract or legal or other professional advice. It is accurate and up-to-date at the time of posting. If any discrepancies exist between this web site material and the official Plan Text/Contract, the Plan Text/Contract and applicable legislation will govern in all cases.
Health Association Nova Scotia reserves the right to review the benefits program and to modify, amend, discontinue, and/or make exceptions to the program without prior notice. All information is subject to change.
Johnson Insurance is celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday with a chance for you to win one (1) grand prize trip to a Canadian destination of your choice ($15,000 value). This contest is open for the remainder of 2017, with winners being selected in 2018. You will be automatically entered into the contest if you contact Johnson for a home or auto insurance quote by December 31st, 2017. Check out this for more information.
Manulife has launched some enhancements to its plan member site www.manulife.ca/planmember
New features include:
- Pharmacy Savings Search – Now plan members can learn where they can get their prescriptions for less. Select from the Quick Links menu.
- Online claims enhancements – Now includes an easier way for plan members to submit coordination of benefits claims. Orthodontic claims have been added to the list of claims that can be submitted online. Select from the Quick Links menu.
- Available balances– Plan members can see how much paramedical coverage they have left and how long they have to use their coverage. Click on “My Benefits” on the top menu.
- Find Registered Professionals – In addition to having access to this search on the Plan Member Site, you can now access the Manulife provider directory directly from you smartphone.
- Electronic version of your Benefits Card. In addition to being able to view and print a temporary card from the Plan Member Site, you also have access to a mobile benefits card on your smartphone with the mobile app.
If you have not already registered on the plan member site, we invite you to do so.
- Go to www.manulife.ca/planmember Click on “Login/register” and you’ll be directed to the site access page.
- On the site access page, click on “register” and provide the required information. (If you’re not sure of your plan and certificate numbers, check your Manulife benefit card or find the numbers on a previous claims statement).
- Submit the completed information and follow the directions on the page. As soon as you are registered you can access all the functions on the secure site, and start making claims.
Did You Know:
Mandatory Generic Drug Substitution
Effective June 1, 2014, the health plan adopted a Mandatory Generic Drug Substitution approach. Making wise choices about utilizing generic drugs when available can save you and your benefits plan money, ensuring your health plan remains sustainable for the future. This means your plan will reimburse up to the cost of the generic drug even if a brand name medication is dispensed. If your healthcare professional has prescribed a medication and indicated “no substitution” on your prescription, your pharmacist may contact them on your behalf in order to confirm that the generic medication can be dispensed instead. For those instances when your healthcare professional indicates there is a medically substantive need to remain on the brand name medication, please contact Manulife Customer Service Centre toll-free at 1-855-626-4267 for details on their exception process.
- Benefit Communications: Select this link to review our Benefit Information Sheets, Benefits Bulletins and Newsletters.
- Benefit Administrators: Select this link to view resource materials provided for benefit administrators of member facilities. This material is provided for members only and a password is required for access.